August 7, 2008
Time for a fashion critique!
Joe Smith: Nice color and design of t-shirt, although whatever that is (a ship?) is a bit, um, garish. And those jeans wouldn’t look out of place at, like, Union Pool or something. Lastly, WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR LEFT ARM?@!?!?!?1
David Wright: Form-fitting t-shirts are always a plus, especially with a well-defined torso. The faux-retro faded letter bullshit is so frat boy, but I guess it’s a decent enough design with which to whore Nike. Your watch is ridiculous. And cargo shorts are a crime against humanity.
Carlos Muniz: What in the good name of fuck. That better be a psych-metal band, otherwise you have absolutely no excuse.
April 10, 2008
Go Big Pelf!
Well that’s more like it. Our nine-game losing streak to Phillies has finally (huzzah!) been snapped. Break out the bubbly!
After a stressful day of trying to find ANYONE who would go to the game with me tonight (considering all my friends were sick/busy/unresponsive after initial interest/had experienced in-person at least two Pelfrey losses last season and had had enough/more injured than Pedro, Alou, and El Duque combined), I warily posted an ad on Craigslist only to have a very nice Chicagoan via Los Angeles who’d spent time in New Orleans–attending many a Zephyr game–respond, and we had quite the pleasant evening, mist be damned. It helps when your team wins 8-2.
The offense tonight wasn’t exactly sterling (how in hell do you manage to have the bases loaded in both the first and second innings and only score one run?!) but the Mets were able to capitalize on some ungodly/comical errors by the Phillies, including two by my favorite Phillie Eric Bruntlett. Can he play all the time plzkthx. That lovely man got a very warm Shea round of applause when he came up to bat later in the game.
The big story for me was seeing Pelfrey (of whom, ahem, I may have said some not-nice things about once upon a time) look loose and comfortable on the mound, doing a lot to alleviate at least some of the fears that Mets fans have regarding our starting rotation. Not all, of course, but some. If he can pitch with any semblance of the consistency and–forgive me–flat-out cojones of tonight, then I’ll be more than happy to see him up here all year. What was most impressive to me was working out of that jam in the second inning: by rights he should’ve been out of it if not for a SPECTACULARLY HORRENDOUS fielding job by Jose Reyes on what should’ve been the inning-ending DP. I may or may not have yelled “Wake the fuck up Reyes!” with children around. A run would eventually score, but instead of channeling an ’07 Perez/Maine Ritalin commercial, Pelfrey hunkered down and got through the inning relatively unscathed. I really wanna buy me one of them shirts.
- I am very excited for CitiField. I hope I’ll be able to go at least once.
- There’s some kind of ridiculous fan dance-off that occurs at some point. The PA guy played some Bee Gees and some white girl and some white boy were the contestants. After watching their atrocious moves I certainly screamed “Y’all whitefolk can’t dance!” To the amusement of the Dominican father and son behind me. The white boy eventually won, mainly because he did a terrible worm while the girl just kind of did the “Wooo I’m so drunk!!!!” sorority girl shuffle.
- Very many people commented approvingly on my Mets-colored Converse sneakers, which I custom designed on their website. Dorky yes, but this happened when I was listening to a John Maine-pitched spring training game, and I was full of optimism and light.
- Phillies fans are really ugly and boorish. There was at least one fight that broke out, which prompted a lot of jeers and laughter from the Mets fans in attendance
- My favorite at-bat songs: Brian Schneider’s “In The Air Tonight” (Phil Collins, lolz) and Pelfrey’s “Nasty” (Janet, Ms. Jackson if you’re…well you know. Song rulz!)
- There’s nothing better than a 7-train ride home after a win and everyone in the car chants “Let’s Go Mets!” and gives each other high-fives and fist-bumps and thumbs-up. Hey Mets, please give us fans more of these moments please and thank you.
February 14, 2008
Why is Ollie so pale? Also? HELLLLOOOOOOOO JOHN MAINE.
*Photo courtesy Adam Rubin’s blog